Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Boy's Bedroom: Update to Jackson's Headboard

You may remember Jackson's headboard I did a couple of year's ago.

This project has actually gotten quite a bit of attention that I will be sharing that with you soon. 
Right now I wanted to share with you how I have updated the room. Making Carson's room into the home office it was meant to be means the two youngest boys need to share a room. Which works out great, because they are best buddies and ended up sleeping in each others' rooms anyway.
I actually spent several weeks right after Christmas scouring for ideas for little boys rooms. I was all set to spend hundreds (ok it was topping thousands of dollars) to buy two new beds, bedding, decorations, ...Restoration Hardware can be very convincing. I loved the ideas I saw on their website, but in the end, I could not give up Jackson's headboard. I was still too in love with it. Still, this did not solve my dilemma that Carson needed a bed too.
In the end, we cut Jackson's down to a twin sized headboard, and created a new matching headboard for Carson. As luck would have it, I had a friend giving away a twin frame and two twin box springs. Just what I needed to make two twin beds out of a bunk bed set we already had. Some fun, easy ideas finished off the room.
A simple addition to the already existing bookshelves created this faux wood bookcase.
Maps we have collected from all of our traveling over the last several years made the perfect 'wall paper' for this Route 66 themed room.
 I just pinned maps to the wall and then strung a sting and used clothes pins to created a layered look.
The bedding is Pottery Barn kids. I just bought a twin set to match the full set I already had for Jackson's bed.
Used mostly decor I already had in Jackson's room but added a few items from one quick trip to Hobby Lobby...love that place for projects like this. (Can't wait for you to see what is in that corner cabinet!)
Now I'm just thinking I need to have my head checked for even considering spending oodles of money to have a bedroom that anyone walking through Restoration Hardware isles could have, when I get to have this incredibly unique bedroom for my sweet boys.
And the real proof in the pudding (what does that even mean)? 
My boys who were sleeping on the floor of our room or their room so they could be closer to each other, sleep in their own beds now...every single night!
That's icing on the 'home decor' cake.
Another reference to food that really doesn't make a lot of sense...think I'll go find a snack.


8 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

Adorable! Seriously in love! How'd you do Carson's bookcase? I need to get doing some projects. It's good for my mental health. Come visit me!

March 5, 2014 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love these beds they are too adorable. i would love to feature them if that would be ok please let me know

March 24, 2014 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Christine at Little Brags said...

love it, your newest follower. Christine from Little BRags

April 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Homeroad said...

Those beds are beyond awesome! Thanks for linking up to Junkers United!
Susan @Homeroad.net

April 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Homeroad said...

Those beds are beyond awesome! Thanks for linking up to Junkers United!
Susan @Homeroad.net

April 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow!! This bedroom has all the elements to indeed be a salvaged viral hit! It's gorgeous! And those headboards are over the top amazing!

April 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Oh my goodness--this is awesome! Pinning! Thanks for linking up.

April 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger MONICA LIVAS said...

This is a wonderful bedroom! Really love your style!

April 19, 2014 at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home