Monday, August 22, 2011

Come and Play With Me

Today's post will have no design ideas, no junkin' treasures found, no tips on arranging design elements or how to create anything. Today's post has just one picture.
Teeter tottering with my four kids (one is in the background)
 Years ago a friend of mine said we only have 18 summers with our children and that made so much more of an impact on me than we only have 18 years with our children. Perhaps because summers go so fast, are gone in the blink of an eye, you realize only 18 blinks and they, the children, are gone. Perhaps it is because summers are so full. Full of memories, laughs, fun and joy...we fit so much of life in the few short months of summer. My children were small when my friend made that comment...now I am standing on a distinctly different shore. Instead of the summers stretched out in front of me wide like the ocean, I see many of them behind me with my oldest child starting her junior year of high school. My hope is you are making the most of these last few days of summer....it is one less you have to share together. So, I guess it I was wrong, this post is about creating one thing...memories.

You may have tangible wealth untold; 
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.  
Richer than I you can never be -- 
I had a mother who played with me...
— adapted from Strickland Gillilan


2 Comments:

Blogger The Kogans said...

As I sit at the end of a summer I feel was wasted on moving, remodeling a kitchen, and now morning sickness, your post brought tears to my eyes. I know I need to do better at savoring the time with my children. You are right, 18 summers is a very short time and then they are gone...

August 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger pineplace said...

Yes, sometimes life does get in the way...but that helps us savor and appreciate the good summers all the more. I am sure next summer will be much more settled with the baby here and the house put together...well, as much as houses are ever put together, right?!

August 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home