Saturday, October 8, 2011

Harvest Mantel

So owls are really in right now. I have not been able to bring myself to decorate with them though.  I will let you in on a little secret. I don't like owls. They make a scary sound in the night and can grow to be very, very large. And they just stare at you with...those eyes. Although their ability to turn their head almost entirely around does impress me. 
I wanted to do something different for my fall mantel this year. I wasn't quite ready to bring out the spiders and ghosts...and I wanted something simple. I was perusing The Graphics Fairy Website a favorite pastime of mine, and stumbled on this image:
Being as I do not like owls, it felt spooky but not totally Halloweenish and the idea formed in my mind what I would like my mantel to look like. I cut the image above out of vinyl and used it as a stencil and transferred it to burlap. I had on hand a painter's canvas so I wrapped the burlap on that and nailgunned it to the back. This is how it turned out:
Who-who loves it? (I know that was cheesy, couldn't resist!)
UPDATE: For an update on the mantel, click HERE

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

I don't usually like owls either, but I'm lovin' this. It is just the right amount of spooky.

October 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger ShonEjai said...

Love it! Well done!

October 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

This turned out great!!! I love that you used Burlap!

October 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM  
Blogger pineplace said...

Karen-thanks for visiting my blog and for all of your great graphics!

October 19, 2011 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

LOVE this fall mantel and that burlap art is amazing. Everything about this is just PERFECT! Great job! Can't wait to look around some more :o)

October 24, 2011 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Such a clever idea! Even the eyes turned out well! Thanks for sharing. :)

October 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Jodie said...

I love this. How did you transfer it onto your vinyl?

October 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home